On Oct. 1, 2016 with the distribution of licenses from the passing of Measure 91, Oregon joined the growing number of American states that have accepted the greener stuff for recreation. Weed has always been part of the culture of Oregon- Pioneers coming over on the Oregon Trail had wagons covered with hemp, and Oregon was the first state to decriminalize in 1973. You can read more about the long history of cannabis in Oregon from this article from the Oregon State University Press blog. Now with Washington, Oregon, and California all enjoying the sticky-icky, visitors may see it as a value-added to your trip to Portland to visit one of our fine dispensaries and maybe check out another dimension of our city.
Before you do take that trip, there’s a few things to know about the rules of travel in our State:
- You must be over 21 to purchase or consume cannabis in any form.
- Public consumption is illegal, even with a seemingly subtle vape pen.
- You cannot be in possession of more than an ounce in public.
- You can’t cross state lines with product- even to another state with legal weed.
- Driving under the influence of cannabis is illegal.
- While possession is allowed statewide, not all counties and communities in Oregon allow dispensaries- for a full list check out the list and other particulars at Potguide.com.
Other than these considerations, please enjoy Oregon in whatever state you prefer!
Photo credit- our friends at Oregon Weedery and Serra Belmont as well as Downtown.
We also recommend Electric Lettuce and Farma.
All 5 of these world-class cannabis dispensaries are easily found on our readily available maps.